If you’re just getting started or getting back into a fitness routine, it might feel like a chore to try and fit in your exercise and stick to it on a regular basis.
Here are some tips that can help you get into a groove this year:
1. Set aside 15 minutes at the beginning of the week or month to plot out your workouts on a calendar, and set reminders for yourself. This way you can work around any planned events. (PS, FitSchool does this for you already, so you should probably join! :P)
2. Find a buddy to either join you in your activity or report to for extra accountability. Having someone right alongside you helps add some fun and an often-needed social component to the activity, but it’s not always easy to coordinate schedules with your friends. If you let someone know that you’re committed to an activity on a certain day and time, they might be inclined to ask you about it regularly, so they’ll help keep you accountable to it!
3. Whether you get moving in the early morning, on your lunch break or at the end of your day, it helps to lay out your clothes and gear in advance. At whatever time you have planned for your fitness, you might not be super pumped to get started, so having to figure out what to wear or use can feel like a huge chore before even doing any movement, and you might end up getting discouraged. If you get that chore done waaaaay before you even think about starting your workout, like the day before, it’ll feel like one less thing to do before your exercise, and you’ll be more likely to jump in!
4. Write down your goals. This helps remind you of why you set out to create a fitness routine in the first place. (Stay tuned for more on this next week!)
5. Make it fun! Yes, this can be done by sharing your fitness experience with a buddy, but it can also be done by doing an activity you love! It’s no secret that here at 3Wave we believe it’s important to load your muscles with weights, bands and bodyweight regularly, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find fun ways to do that! Some non-gym activities your coaches love to do are hiking, swimming, dancing, rock climbing, snowshoeing, boxing, and I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting.
Don’t put yourself in a box when it comes to your fitness!
…unless it’s the box you’re marking on your calendar to pencil in your workout 😛